Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Helloooo 2nd grade!!

Well baby girl started her first day of 2nd grade Monday. She absolutely loved it!! She is one of those children that thrives in competitive situations, and at this age loves school. As a parent, I can only hope she continues to view school as an exciting journey. She chose her own outfit (imagine that!) and then bounded out the door with her bright blue eyes, happy smile, and shiny blond locks..totally and completely ready to take on the 2nd grade! Yea, I'm proud of her. Even the sassy mouth she inherited from me. That's my baby girl!! Believe it or not I didn't cry. I mean..don't get me wrong, I can totally be sappy, but isn't it a ritual for EVERY mother (sometimes a dad or 2) to cry when they drop off a child @ school their first day (of any grade)?? I didn't even cry when she started K. I actually had to re-evaluate my mothering that day. Everyone told me what a horrible mom I was!! I was excited for her because she was so excited and the tears of sadness were replaced by giddy giggles of happiness & excitement I shared with her that day. But today.....................
Today she is "The Second Grader"!!
Boo will begin Pre-K after the labor day holiday. That will be a whole other post!! Be on the look out!!


So with the start of a brand new school year, comes the never ending grueling schedules of soccer practices, games, dance lessons, homework, insanity checks & moments of sheer panic because I forgot to dress Boo in his 'western' attire for hoe down day, OR God forbid... I forgot to replenish Rilye's lunch account and she will have to suffer through the day with a peanut butter sandwich!! Ahh the school year..as parents don't we love it so?? For my birthday this year, babe (that is Big Brandon..notice how no-one goes by their real names in our house) gave me a wonderful book called "Good Enough Mother". This book is going to be my saving grace. Let me quote a excerpt from the wise words of Rene Syler..the good enough mother!

I can sooo relate to this quote, I swear it could be Boo .... "....or how to respond when my son comes running into my bedroom, claiming to be a new kind of superhero, with his jammie bottoms and briefs adorning his head, shrieking, "Mom! Mom! When I fart, underwear comes shooting out- because I'm UNDERWEAR MAN!"



.... But my favorite quote so far is ... "I do know what I'm doing most of the time-and I'm good enough at doing it". You know what? They are still alive & thank the good LORD with all limbs still attached.... and I think very well adjusted children. Easy tempered or hot tempered, they are well mannered, lil' beings that are conforming nicely to societies expectations..



So, I will leave you with... slow down, don't stress. They love us no matter what!
WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH MOTHERS.












6 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great post les - she looks so cute and sassy!

Monica said...

So glad to see you posting again! Rilye did a great job with her outfit!

edith turk said...

I know what you're saying, I have two second graders in my house..there were no tears for me this year, just cartwheels!! ;)

Tara said...

Hee he hee...i just LOVE your blog....too funny!!! yes we are good enough!!!!! how are things with you??? i hope well...your lil second grader is a cutie girl!!!

TanishaRenee said...

Your children are so adorable!

Nancywithajones said...

IM LOVIN THAT SHIRT BELLA NEEDS THAT!!!!

Family Pictures

Sample Los

GUEST BOOK